Cabinets of Wonder: A place for all things curious

Fringe Society Forums Arts and Crafts Cabinets of Wonder: A place for all things curious

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Zara 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

anne moe
    Participant

>Wunderkammern or most commonly known as the curiosity cabinet, is a style of curation in all things curious. From items that create wonder and awe at what the world could produce, to the scientific perspective of examination and cataloging, to the more modern display of an awesome junk drawer, the items in some way, have piqued your curiosity.

A cabinet of curiosities was an encyclopedic collection in Renaissance Europe of types of objects whose categorial boundaries were yet to be defined. They were also known by various names such as Cabinet of Wonder, and in German Kunstkammer (“art-room”) or Wunderkammer (“wonder-room”). Modern terminology would categorize the objects included as belonging to natural history (sometimes faked), geology, ethnography, archaeology, religious or historical relics, works of art (including cabinet paintings) and antiquities. “The Kunstkammer was regarded as a microcosm or theater of the world, and a memory theater. The Kunstkammer conveyed symbolically the patron’s control of the world through its indoor, microscopic reproduction.”[1] Of Charles I of England’s collection, Peter Thomas has succinctly stated, “The Kunstkabinett itself was a form of propaganda”.[2] Besides the most famous and best documented cabinets of rulers and aristocrats, members of the merchant class and early practitioners of science in Europe also formed collections that were precursors to museums.

A space that can contain literally anything, makes every collection that much more unique. My collection houses halfway finished craft projects to sea shells that will inspire another crafty idea, to items that have stopped me in the TSA line. Whether you are a maker or purveyor of wonderful, whimsical, and obscure thingamajigs, I’m curious about YOUR things.

Josh Light

I really have to up my game. My ‘cabinet of curiosities’ is mostly coffee mugs from my various adventures with random bits (graveyard moss, alien skull, etc) in between, all stacked on an already overstuffed bookcase.

Patricia
    Participant

I have been obsessed with these cabinets for decades. My grandfather had one when I was a tot and I would spend hours lost in fascination. Currently my collection of oddities is mostly in storage but it is going to make a great dead of winter project.

Patricia
    Participant

Anne- I too have had issues with customs about some objects. They confiscated my shrunken monkey head. Fortunately I married a connected and it was returned with apologies 3 weeks later.

Another time I was returning with an amazing work of art by Robert Crook and TSA was perplexed with it. They quickly wrapped it and let me proceed when I said “I wouldn’t touch that with my bare hands if I were you.” lol

anne moe
    Participant

LOL, really?! Where did you pick up a shrunken monkey head at? I know yours is surely interesting! I think a lot of times the TSA agents are curious as to what that shape is they are seeing in the scanner is.

Your suggestion of threatening bad juju is an excellent idea!

Zara
    Participant

I would love to have one of these cabinets, but I would be afraid something being attached to it I guess. I do have crystals, tarot cards, dowsing rods, books, rosaries, especially blessed medals and that sort of thing. Not at all anything one consider a wonder. lol

anne moe
    Participant

Those are certainly some wonders, Zara! I like a lot of things for the look of it, so I do have things like tarot cards, books, and even crystals in mine. Whatever suits your fancy, is all that matters. I also hear of folks putting things in salt to cleanse an item before bringing it in to their home. Never tried it myself.

Zara
    Participant

If I had to choose I think I would use sage for cleansing. Not everything can be cleansed with water yet alone salt water. Even some crystals cant be put in water. If we move than maybe I can get a cabinet and start filling it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.